Monday 16 February 2009

Fixing Things

or not fixing things. If you ever visited the old version of the legio xx site, you might have noticed that the lists of legionary personnel under Roll provided links to a database of incriptions giving the primary sources for each individual. This no longer works. It was a tweak of an old cgi script designed for something else entirely (what it gave me was a way of extracting information from a simple text file and formatting the output as html). On past experience (having had to move it to a different server once before) I'm probably just failing to get my path statements right, but the error message "The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers" is entirely unhelpful (are they ever otherwise?) and leaves me wondering if the html output of the script no longer conforms to expected standards...

What I don’t know about website design would fill a very large book. Do I comply with all the right standards? I doubt it. Does this work just as well in other browsers? Erm…
I am aware, however, that it doesn’t even work that well on the 15” screen of my work computer. Just taking the ClusterMaps map out of the sidebar would help. (I kind of like it there.) One tip for IE users, which eluded me for a long time: Press F11 and you get to see the page in all its glory without toolbars taking up all of the vertical space (the Tabs will reappear if you move the mouse to the top of the screen; F11 will bring everything back again).

No comments:

Post a Comment